Monday, March 10, 2014

Standing here doing "Adult" Things....

I know that it's already March and we're a little bit into the new year, however...I didn't really post about new years resolutions or new goals. This year I wanted to write about things that happen to me throughout the year, important things that I want to remember for later.

I feel like now that I have had a few months to get used to the new year and allow life's adventures to take place, I have a little bit to note.

January was a relatively normal month for me. I didn't do a lot for New Years, we wrapped up the Ice Rink season and I dedicated an entire weekend to doing girly things (eating brunch, getting my nails done, sipping hot tea, wearing the color pink). It was great to wash away the sand and ice once and for all, until next season.

I had a few "adult" things that I had to take care of. My first project was to get new car insurance. (woo.........hoo). So, I did and it sucked and it still sucks and that's that, but I did it and it's one more thing to knock off the list!

So February rolls around and life get's a little more interesting. Ronnie & I celebrated our 3 year moment with free breakfast at Chick Fil' A that morning and an freaking FUN-TASTIC afternoon with some of our closest friends (who incidentally thought it was Ronnie's birthday). Fair enough though, a surprise night out at Sky-High in Pineville is probably the most unconventional anniversary gift you can give. However, we had SO much fun. We jumped so hard. My cheeks hurt so bad from smiling non-stop for 2 hours!


For those of you who have never been - yes, you...the adult reading this...you should go!! It's not JUST for kids!

The weekend after that, we went to LA to visit Ronnie's sweet sister, Courtney. Courtney works for the Ellen DeGeneres Show (how cool is that?!) We spent the first night chatting and celebrity spotting in the restaurant we ate at. The second day we went on a beautiful hike! The great outdoors, beautiful views, snakes & good times!

Snakes...yes. ;ALSKDJF;ASDUR;JDJF. Getting shivers again just thinking about it!

The third day we walked around Warner Brothers Studios, we got to see some pretty incredible things. We were shown the friends set and we were even allowed to sit on THE couch.

Weird thing: I didn't realize how emotionally invested I was in this show until I walked into see the set. There it was and I kind of teared up (shhhh no one knows that), but I swallowed it and moved on, because how cool is that?!! The FRIENDS set?! The only thing that wasn't original was Lisa Kudrow's guitar, apparently she wanted to take that with her whenever the show went off the air. Fair enough Phoebe...fair enough.

We saw other things too, such as the Pretty Little Liars set where they are still filming. We saw where they filmed the Spiderman kiss (where he hangs upside down), the Orphanage from the movie Annie, The Big Bang Theory set and so much more.

Later on that day we went to The Ellen Show and was part of the studio audience. The guests that day were Jonah Hill and Lionel Richie with Ceelo Green. Jonah Hill just seems like a cool dude.

Ellen butt bumped the person behind me while we were dancing on TV! It was a really upbeat experience and I felt like I was put on the spot to be overjoyed for the entire show! I loved it!!
The 4th day we came home and I returned to my list of "adult" things that needed to get done. Nothing says "adult fun" like getting your wisdom teeth removed! So, after a year of pocketing money away to the side, I made the appointment and I got my wisdom teeth removed two days after returning from LA.

Thank goodness for my sweet Mother for driving to Charlotte that weekend to take care of me. I remember nothing, like at all. Then the next week I checked my bank statement and it was like..."OH...right, that happened." Good thing my appetite was still on the downward slope, because let's just say "steak" wasn't really in the budget after this procedure! Luckily after you get your wisdom teeth removed, all you want for a week or two after is pudding, mashed potatoes and Spaghetti-Os.

So once all of the drama of getting my teeth out was over, life got back to normal.

I am the kind of person where yes, I get that we have to do stupid things in life like buy new tires, replace our cars, get wisdom teeth removed and pay student loans. However, I'm also the kind of person that likes to sprinkle something fun in between every stupid "adult" thing that I have to do.
It looks something like this:

1. Buy new tires
2. Get VENTI Hazelnut Latte at Starbucks
3. Get new car insurance
4. Go to LA
5. Get Wisdom Teeth Removed
6. Go jumping at Sky High
7. Pay Electric Bill 
8. Make Coffee at Home & Pretend Your At Starbucks, spill it on your pants and move on with life. (because at this point lets face it, you're broke)

Haha, I mean it's all 100% true!

This year is different than years past because I'm at a completely new territory in life. I'm at a place where I'm truly happy at my job, I'm in my 2nd year with the company so I sort of know what to expect throughout the year and I know how and when to plan for things that I want to do in my personal life.

I have a really fun year coming up! Some good things are going to happen and I'm pretty pumped up about it! I'm getting the opportunity to travel to A LOT to places that I have never seen, watch a lot of my closest friends get married...and more.

I'm getting a roommate and moving to a new place at the end of the summer. I'm turning 24, so I'll probably have some sort of mental breakdown about getting older and probably have a "Pre Mid-20's" crisis about not being in my "early 20's" anymore after this year. I'll probably get over it in 5 minutes because life is just too fun right now and there is so much to look forward to. (Friends, just refer me to this paragraph when my crisis comes, I can be such a drama queen) ;)

I'm graduating from Grad School this year, which is exciting. I'm actually kind of sad that I'm graduating, because I really enjoy school a lot.

There are actually two reasons for why I am skeptical to graduate:

1. With every degree earned, comes a massive student loan payment. It ain't no cheap road, being edumacated. 
2. I have no idea when/if I will use the degree.

So, last thing to tell you about is my trips home to see family and friends! I always have to squeeze in a few of those as often as I can. I love nothing more than a few days at home in WNC, sitting on the front porch with mom peering over that beautiful mountain view. Plus I need my niece, Lola, to think I'm cool. She is really starting to grow up and is learning to do a lot of new things. She's at a really observant point in life right now and I want to be part of that. I don't get to be around on a daily basis, but I want to make it a point to visit home every month or two.

Lola thinks that whoever gives her popsicles (her all time favorite thing) is the COOLEST person on the planet in that moment, so whenever I go home and visit...no one is allowed to hand my niece a Popsicle except for me!! I had to "shew" my dad out of the kitchen because he tried to steal my "Cool Aunt Thunder" last time. ;) She already things "Paw" is the coolest so he doesn't really need to rack up anymore Lola points!

Until next time

- M 


No comments:

Post a Comment