Sunday, January 26, 2014

Standing In The Grocery Store: IT'S JUST TOO MUCH.




Adaptation is the theme of this blog post. Adapting to situations, other people, your own thoughts, feelings & actions. As I am constantly reminded of the progressive and inevitable changes that the world places on our lives, I realize it is up to us, as individuals to embrace that change with poise and the overall precedence of grace. I won't list out all of the changes that have been placed in my life lately, personally, professionally and spiritually. We all have them and it's a constant. It's not as though we go through this "phase". Life is always changing, and it's how we react to those changes that makes us who we are. We don't have the ability to control the changes that go on in our lives, but we do have the ability to adapt and give our lives direction once those changes occur. When I saw at my life overall, rather than a day to day project, I saw this huge immaculate gift. Once I realized how my life could be overall, then I realized that it's how we project ourselves on our day to day, that accumulate into the overall picture. 

I am one of those people that carries an unnecessary burden of guilt around every single day. I feel it when I am in line to get a Starbucks coffee at the grocery store, because shopping with my favorite latte in hand, makes the "dreadful" experience so much better. Until, I run into a man who hasn't left the dairy isle for 10 minutes because he is trying to decide how much he can buy for $20. As he does this math in his head and I creepishly circle around the grocery store to make sure he doesn't put away that milk, I realize I'm not the only one who noticed, as a lady goes up to him and hands him a gift card to the grocery store. He smiles and she walks away. Then I no longer have an appetite for my warm coffee in my hand, I find myself reevaluating what I have in my own cart. No, I don't need K-Cups, No, I don't need 3 different types of cheeses... So I once again, circle around the store putting back what I "didn't need". 

By the time that it's time to check out, I get to the register and I watch as each item is scanned and placed into the plastic bag, which I chose, (regrettably, every single time) because every time I choose paper, they put too much in the bag and when I unload my groceries from the car, to my apartment by myself, 9/10 they break, fall apart and my eggs are crushed and my milk is half way down the parking lot. But, I think about how I should be bringing my own bags to the grocery store, but some how manage to forget! 

Finally it's time to pay and get to my car. I unlock the car and start to load them. Then, I get approached by a group raising money for the homeless. I pretend to ignore him because, let's face it, after that grocery shopping experience all I want to do is get home. He keeps talking. Then I realize how rude I am being. This is a person just trying to make a small difference in the world, the least I can do is give him my eye contact. So, I do. 3 minutes later I'm digging around in my purse for a floating $5 bill. Do I know for sure that that $5 is going to go to a good place? No, but I can hope and assume so. Plus, let's face it, I just spent $4.19 on a bag of Ruffles. 

Let's just say, you don't want to get stuck going to the grocery store with me. It's a long, emotional, time consuming experience....and well...kind of a work out! 




No comments:

Post a Comment