Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I was standing on top of the world..

Spring is starting to shine through and I know that I was just aching to get outside and get some vitamin D in my system. Last weekend I went on a hike through Tellico Gap up to Wesser Bald. Watch my movie and get a glimpse of what I saw.



My friend Ed took my little brother Reed and I up to the observation deck at the top of Wesser Bald. Wesser Bald is located about 6 miles up from Nantahala Outdoor Center. It's a great hike, about a mile and a half up from Tellico Gap. The view is gorgeous. Being up that high and getting a panoramic view of the mountains, you feel like you are literally standing on top of the world.

If you can time it right, start your hike around  5 o'clock and once you get to the top, you'll get to see the sunset from the observation deck. Sunsets are already a beautiful site, however, getting to see one from the top of a mountain may just make it that much better.

The observation deck was built in the 1930's, burnt down in a fire and was rebuilt later and is now used as an observation deck. It's old and somewhat shaky. If you are scared of heights this may not be the best for you. If you can build up some guts and climb the stairs, you won't regret it once you get to the top. It's a good feeling being up there, knowing that what you are looking at are all pieces of God's work. It's amazing to think that what all that is right infront of you is real, it looks like canvas, unreal and untouchable. It's all in once view, all at the tip of your eyes.

Living in Western North Carolina has so many advantages, people don't realize it sometimes. I'm guilty of it myself. There are so many natural wonders right here in our back yard; I wouldn't mind finding myself in more places like this.

If anyone knows about any hot spots, please comment below and tell me about it! I've seen a lot of The Great Smoky Mountains, but I would love to see more. Tell me about your favorite place; where you felt like you were standing on top of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment