Thursday, March 10, 2011

I was standing in Daytona's International Speedway..




As a young southern woman, you would think that I would have a slight love for NASCAR, or even just some sort of concept of the workings behind it. For some reason the inter workings of my family have led me in a direction that has somewhat deterred me from the sport, and led my interests elsewhere.

For spring break, I went to Daytona Beach, Florida. Since I do have a heart for traveling, learning, and seeing new things, NASCAR was on the top 3 things I wanted to see on my spring break aside from the beach, for sunshine and tanning and my pillow for napping and reading.

I think that since NASCAR is such a foreign sport to me, my desire to understand it sparked when I realized I was probably the only person who grew up in the south that doesn't like/participate in NASCAR. Once I got to Daytona my friends and I stopped at Daytona International Speedway where all of the magic happened. Since the big 500 race just took place last month, I felt like I just missed Santa, the magic had JUST happened but I was a week late. The track was huge, well actually it was 2.5 miles long to be exact. Being there and still not understanding how it worked gave me an itch that I couldn't scratch.

Whenever I got back home, I researched NASCAR and the logistics of the sport. I asked my friends for help and advice and I was blown away with information from EVERYONE.

After posting my status on Facebook as "Morgan Carver has to write a story on NASCAR and Daytona 500, I know ZERO about NASCAR. Who can fill me in?"

I had 16 comments within just a few minutes and 25 comments over all. Luckily one of my friends from class, Katy Levi, emailed me a power point that she did on NASCAR and how it worked. It helped me out more than anything!

What really gets me...is that Trevor Bayne, 20 years old just won the Daytona 500 last month. He is now a millionaire. I am 20 years old, and all I own are the clothes on my back. I called my mom and told her I may take up a new hobby...NASCAR here I come! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment