Sunday, October 16, 2011

Standing in Transition.

I've been back from Berlin for almost 2 months now and a lot has changed! (Miss you Helen King & Hayley Hatherall) When I first got back the newness of being home was exciting. I remember getting off of the plane, getting my bags and waiting in an elevator full of chatty people and thinking,  "wow, it's so nice to be able to understand conversations that are going on around me". From there I went home.

I got home on a Saturday and on that following Monday I started a brand new routine, one well worth the time.

My beautiful baby cousin, Peyton Grace and I got to spend a lot of time together while I adjusted to being back home, spending endless hours filling out job applications and ....well....filling out more job applications. We did a lot though! We did head exercises, tummy time (where she proved her set of lungs to the max), met with physical therapists, went for strolls, watched "Yo Gabba Gabba" and lots of Good Morning America (she liked that too) ;) This limbo in between Berlin and starting my career was a new territory for me. I'm lucky I had Peyton around to keep me focused! She's a good listener!

This time period lasted for about a month and then things got a bit shaken up after I was called in for 2 job interviews. One in Charlotte and one in Asheville. The interviews were back to back, Tuesday and Wednesday in the beginning of October. The one in Asheville lasted for 20 minutes, while the one in Charlotte lasted 2 hours. That next day I was invited back to the potential job opportunity in Asheville for a 2nd interview. I went and fell in love with the opportunity right off. I was excited that after over 75 job applications, hours upon hours of filling out, rewriting cover letters and revising resumes I was finally given a chance.

That Monday, I was called in for a 3rd interview in Asheville where I was offered my first salary based career. As of that day, I was proud to say that I was the newest employee of Toshiba. My first day was that Thursday, where I was sent to Raleigh for a quarterly meeting. I drove down, checked into my hotel room and met up with my co-workers. I was informed that Toshiba had rented out a section on the roof of a bar in downtown Raleigh, so we all went. The whole time all I could think was, "is this real life???" Well, the next day it was proved to be real life when I was asked to stand up in front of over 100 Toshiba employee's and recite the 7 steps of a sale, while being timed. All I can say is, thank GOD I studied. (No, the studying doesn't stop after college, sorry)

Thank you, Folgers and Coffee Mate for being my best friend during those hard long hours of the eye twitching job search. I have a new found understanding for the job market, it's pathetic.

On a more productive note, as much as I love this new technical career I've begun, my creative background is still dying to find it's place in the world. So, look out for my new website, it's still under construction but you can check out the preview page. It will be up and running within the next two weeks.


Enjoy and please be on the lookout for more information :)

1 comment: